The House of Amos provides assistance to people in need through emergency food pantry operations and services designed to assist individuals in gaining healthy families, meaningful employment and achieving self-sufficiency. Our vision is to have a substantial, positive impact on nourishment, education, and health of the needy through the following services:
In 2016, the House of Amos
- Provided more than 58,000 lbs of food and hygiene items to 2,183 families made up of 6,826 individuals
- Approximately 8,000 lbs of fresh produce was distributed at our monthly supplemental distribution
- Distributed 4,900 sack lunches to children on Saturdays. Lunches were provided by Memorial Drive United Methodist Church Soup Mobile
- Enrolled 234 adults in ESL and citizenship classes
- Distributed more than 1,100 Christmas gifts to 450 children. Gifts were donated from ICON, First United Methodist Church's Wonderland in Westchase, Alief ISD schools, Shell Technology Center Houston and many generous individuals. In addition, 85 families received food for a Christmas meal.
- Individuals and groups, for a total of 80 people, provided more than 2,340 hours of volunteer service throughout the year
2017 Calendar of Events
*The House of Amos holds a special distribution one Saturday a month. Fresh produce may be distributed, when available. MUST BRING BAG OR BOX TO CARRY FOOD HOME IN
Nov 18, 2017 - Special Supplemental Distribution - 10 am until 11:45 am. MUST BRING YOUR OWN BOX OR BAG TO TAKE ITEMS HOME IN
Thanksgiving Day - 11 am - 375 ready to eat, take home meals will be distributed on a first come, first served basis. No regular food pantry service.
Nov. 25, 2017 - Closed
Dec. 7, 2017 - Last day of ESL classes for Fall term
Dec 16, 2017 - 10 am - Food pantry will be closed for the Children's Christmas Party. Children ages 3 to 8 may meet with Santa and receive a gift. First come, first served. Maximum of 100 children.
Dec 25, 2017 through January 1, 2018 - House of Amos will be closed. We wish everyone a joyous holiday season and a healthy and prosperous New Year
January 3, 2018 - Registration for Citizenship classes. Class begins January 4, 2018
January 3, 4, 5, 2018 - Registration for ESL classes Winter term
January 8, 2018 - ESL classes begin for Winter term
8030 Boone Road Houston, TX77072
Emergency Food Services: 281-495-9061 Educational Service: 832-328-0696
Monday - Thursday9 am to 12 Noon *
Saturday10 am to 12 Noon*
*We begin serving our last food client at 11:45 am